Lost Towns of Butler County
Began about 1880 and was located about four miles south of Poplar Bluff. Purdyville was a lumber town that died out once the timber was cut.
Poplin was built east of Ash Hill on the Stoddard County side of the St. Francis River, but it was overtaken in the 1890s when Samuel J. Fisk, a timber man, bought all the ground on the west side of the river and created the community of Fisk. Poplin and Fisk were both located along the Cairo, Arkansas, and Texas railroad line.
The town of Batesville was located on the Bates farm south of Ash Hill on the Butler County Railroad that ran south through the area. When the railroad moved west Batesville died.
Spread was located midway between Poplar Bluff and Brosely, on the Butler County Railroad. It died when the railroad moved west and the timber was cut.
塔夫脱 was located south of Harviell about five miles, it was a short lived timber town.
Sawyer was located four or fives miles northeast of Poplar Bluff and flourished for more than a decade until all of the timber was cut in the area.